The cold weather can be extremely hard on your skin. As a family caregiver, it is important to understand that it can be even harder on your senior’s skin. Elderly adults tend to have more vulnerable, and dryer skin, which means the cold weather can impact it more severely.
When your elderly parent goes out in the cold weather, it is important to take steps to protect their skin and to reduce chapping, drying, and irritation they can leave them vulnerable to scratches, cuts, and other damage that can cause infection.
Use these tips to protect your senior’s skin when they go out in cold weather:
- Apply a high-quality moisturizer to their hands before putting on gloves.
- Apply high-quality moisturizer to the body before getting dressed.
- Cover is much exposed skin as possible whenever they are out of the home, particularly if the temperature is very cold, there is wind, or it is snowing or has ice falling.
- Use a scarf to cover the nose and mouth. This not only protects the skin of the face, it also helps to protect the lungs from the very cold air.
- Be sure your parents still uses sunscreen. While it may seem strange to many people to apply sunscreen during the winter, the sun that can actually be even more intense during the winter, if there is snow it can reflect the UV rays and lead to a sunburn and other effects of sun damage.
- Apply moisturizer throughout the day, but make sure any skin that has had moisturizer applied to it is properly covered prior to going out in the cold.
Independence and quality of life are key when it comes to helping seniors enjoy their best life. As a family caregiver, there many ways you can help them to accomplish these goals, but one of the most effective is elderly care. An elderly home care services provider is there for your parent when they need them to offer personalized services designed specifically with them in mind.
These can include transportation, assistance with activities of daily living, fulfillment of personal care needs, meal preparation, medication reminders, companionship, and more. These help your elderly loved one to live the life that is right with them and it allows you to take a step back and focus on all aspects of your life in efficient and meaningful ways.
If you or an aging loved one are considering Elderly Care Services in Chester PA, please contact the caring staff at True Direct Home Health Care today.
- 4 Things That Can Help Family Members Care For a Parent With Alzheimer’s - September 19, 2022
- 4 Healthy Fall Breakfast For Seniors - September 8, 2022
- Small Diet Changes For Seniors That Can Lead To Big Weight Loss - August 15, 2022